Jan 5, 2012

2012 Goals

I like to set goals. I never really stick to them, but I like the feeling I get when I determine that I'm going to DO something. I feel like, yeah! This is going to happen this time! And if only for a little while, I have something to work towards. So New Year's is a fun time for me. A fresh start, a new year, a new day.

This year I think will be a little different. Of course I have those goals I will work towards, but I'm a lot more realistic about how much I'll actually accomplish. In years past, I always feel like I'll have time and energy and motivation to meet my goals, although it rarely ever happens.

This year, I know I'll be busy. I've got a... uh... spirited child who demands my attention 95% of the time while she's awake. That doesn't leave much time for anything else. Usually I can occupy her with treats or by letting her demolish my piles of papers so that I can cook some sort of dinner or do the dishes. But much else has to wait until after bedtime, and by them I'm just so exhausted that I don't really do much but sit around.


So, with that in mind, here are my goals:

Pay off my two credit cards: During my extended maternity leave (9 months), we plowed through our savings and I ended up using two of my credit cards. To me, it was worth it to acquire some debt so that I could stay home for a couple more months with my daughter. The total owed is not really that much, and if I put all my extra cash towards them, I should have them paid off by March. The only catch is, if I do that, I'm not saving up for my summer off of work (yay for teacher summers!) and I might have to go back to the credit cards and have to repay them off.

Work out twice a week. For me, this used to mean having to go to the gym to count as a workout. Now, the mommy-me will allow family walks, rough-housing with Adelaide, dancing in the living room, hiking in the park, etc. Of course, we still have a gym membership, and I'm going to try to get in there every once in a while, but it's not the end-all, be-all for working out. Already this week, we've gone on a family walk after dinner, so I just have one more "workout session" to get in.

DECLUTTER. Remember my post a few days ago about my word, cleanse? I mean it. Declutter my house of JUNK. Declutter my pantry of junk food. Declutter my mind of things to do. Declutter my life. I always feel bogged down. Stressed. So getting rid of the physical stuff in my house that we don't use and don't need will begin to calm down my surroundings, and therefore give me a simple space to begin decluttering my mind, making me a happier mama.

Kick the junk food habit. Oh boy. Kevin and I are major junk food addicts. For real. Just this week we've spent an embarrassing amount of money on convenience store junk food (even though we set the goal, um, Sunday). I think this is because we're tired and chips and soda are quick pick-me-ups, but it doesn't help us in the end. It's going to be a tough thing to really achieve for us, but replacing processed junk food with healthier alternatives will be SO good for us.



That's it. These goals WILL take time, committment, energy, motivation. But they are goals I can work towards and don't have to be done right now. So what if I don't work out twice a week? As long as I at least make an effort to meet that goal, then I'm doing alright. It's a process. I think too many people get so worried that they're going to fail their New Year's goals that they give up before they really get started. By setting goals, you're giving yourself something to work towards. I really believe it's all in the way you think about it. Give yourself some wiggle room!

Do you have some New Year's goals? Please share!
Oh, and check out my reflections that I wrote last year, right after having Adelaide! My, seems so long ago!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog after going down the rabbit hole a la Alice in Wonderland (BlogLand?). Your Adelaide is soooo cute! Good luck with your resolutions -- in my opinion, posting them in a public forum like your blog is the best way to keep yourself honest (I did the same thing!). I'm totally with you on the DECLUTTERING in all senses of the word -- hoping to journey towards that goal myself this year :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every single one and try to respond to most of them (during the baby's naps or in between loads of laundry). I value any and all thoughts, advice, and tidbits that you want to share!