We just feel so bad for her when she's grunting and screaming from the gas pains. It's truly upsetting for all of us - I've cried a bunch when she gets really fussy about it because I can just imagine how frustrating/painful it can be! She'll be nursing and then scream all of a sudden, or she'll wake right up screaming sometimes. I really feel so bad for her. The past couple of nights she'll seem so tired, but can't sleep. *sigh*
Here's what we're doing to try and help the problem (none working much yet):
- I'm going on a dairy-free diet. This is the age where her little digestive system will be sensitive to dairy, so I'm cutting it out completely. Today is day three of the diet. I'm already vegetarian, so except for eggs, I'm pretty much going vegan for this little girl! I'm doing this for a month, and then if things are seeming better I'll do a dairy challenge where I eat dairy with every meal for a couple of days to see if it'll cause a reaction. If nothing else, cutting out high fat cheese and other dairy products and upping my veggie intake will help me lose some more of this baby weight!
- Gas drops. Mylicol is the brand name, but we're doing the Walgreens store brand version. We started last night, giving her a little bit after each feeding. The active ingredient, simethicone, breaks down larger gas bubbles into smaller, less painful ones that are easier to pass. We did notice a lot of tooting last night, but she still shrieked and cried a bunch too.
- Belly massages. Here's one I found online that got a toot out: Rub from ribcage to belly button downward with alternating hands for a count of 15. Push knees to chest and hold for count of 15. Rub in a clockwise motion from belly button and around for a count of 15. Push knees to chest and hold for count of 15. Repeat.
- Pump the legs. Basically it's helping her do the "bicycle" motion with her legs. It just helps her work it out.
- Lots of burping. Sitting her upright after feeding so gas can move up and lots of patting her back. She often falls asleep for a little bit doing this as well.
Any of you have gassy babies or experience with it? I'd love any advice or tips!!!