Aug 4, 2011

Handmade gifts and natural toys.

When I was pregnant, I made sure to tell everyone who asked that if they wanted to get the baby toys, that we preferred toys made from natural materials. Wood, fabric, handmade, etc. I wanted to avoid the loud noisy obnoxious plastic toys that so many kids are inundated with today. I want my baby to experience play, not push a button and have things happen for her to stare and daze out to.

And for the most part, we've been able to keep our toys to a minimum. Yes, we have a few plastic toys. And yes, we have two toys that light up and play music and are generally kind of annoying. But they were gifts from well-meaning people, and also hand-me-downs. And Adelaide does really seem to enjoy them, when we let her play with them. We keep them to a minimum so she's not overwhelmed by the fast flashing lights or the constant stream of nursery rhymes.

Other than that, we have a lot of what I did want. Fabric toys, wooden toys, and books. Lots and lots and lots of books!


1

2

3


My stepmom recently sent us a package of handmade toys that she took the time to create for Adelaide. A set of 3 blocks with crinkly sides and tags, an amish puzzle ball, a fabric alphabet book, and my favorite, a cute simple doll using this pattern.


4

5


I laid out a quilt (also a thrifted gift from my stepmom) on the porch on a cool morning (where did those go???) and gave Adelaide the gifts. She seemed most intrigued by the crinkly blocks, and even still she loves to hit them and hear the self-made noise. It's nice to sit out on the porch with a book or a to-do list (ha.) while the baby plays. It's nice and quiet, peaceful, calm. I can't wait until this scorching heat passes so that we can enjoy it again!


6

7

4 comments:

  1. Those handmade toys are super cute! My baby has a block like that with the ribbons that she loves to suck on. I really want to make her just a flat blanket with the ribbons around the edges. She is in love with tags at the moment. And look at those rolls on Adelaid's arms, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I know! Even if I get Adelaide a new toy, she ends up just sucking on the tags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How its so cute ,Especially your hand work looks so suburb.....

    buy and sell

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every single one and try to respond to most of them (during the baby's naps or in between loads of laundry). I value any and all thoughts, advice, and tidbits that you want to share!