May 13, 2011

My Mother's Day (the broken bathroom part)

Ok, this is the last part of my Mother's Day weekend... I meant to post this yesterday, but blogger has been down, so here you go today.

Sunday (Mother's Day) was a fussy day for Adelaide. She didn't sleep well Saturday night, and she cried, fussed and grumped all Sunday morning. She had a difficult time going down for a nap, so I finally decided to lay down with her and sleep a bit with her. (This usually works to get a good, long nap from her... and I appreciate the extra sleep too!)

After about an hour or so, I woke up to the sound of water. When Kevin soaks a skin to head up a drum, he uses a big tub in our master bathroom (one of those large gray tubs you can find at Walmart), and he uses the shower to slowly fill it up. That's what I thought I was hearing as I slowly woke up. But then I realized it was much too loud to be that. So I got out of bed, and peeked into our main bathroom in the hallway and saw a stream of water spraying down from the ceiling, with a quarter-inch of water on the floor already. It was so loud!


So I ran outside where Kevin was mowing the lawn, ran up to him waving my arms. I said "There's a leak in the bathroom! Turn off the water! It's spritzing!!!"


After shutting off the water and inspecting the ceiling/attic space, and not finding anything, I went to turn on the water for five seconds so Kevin could see where it was coming from.

This is the culprit:


A busted hose from the back of the toilet, that was spraying ("spritzing"... haha) toward the ceiling incredibly forcefully, soaking everything and making a huge mess.


As Kevin was cleaning up the water on the floor and all the gunk from the ceiling (while I kept Adelaide happy by holding her), we decided that we'd go ahead and redo the bathroom. This will include smoothing out the rest of the ceiling, taking down the wallpaper that the previous owners just painted over, repainting, and touching up the vanity area. I'll probably get new artwork and accessories as well. We hope to keep this under $100. Of course, I wish we could afford a total room redo, but that will just have to wait for another time.

So that was my first mother's day! Sorry it took so long for me to get it all out there to you. Time flies when you have a baby around and lots of other stuff going on. It's supposed to be warm here, but rainy all weekend, so I don't know what all we'll do. Probably just rent some movies and hang out at home. Oh, and catch up on blog-reading while Kevin helps take care of the baby! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every single one and try to respond to most of them (during the baby's naps or in between loads of laundry). I value any and all thoughts, advice, and tidbits that you want to share!