Aug 17, 2010

Ultrasound, August 12th. It's a.... !

On August 12th, we went for our ultrasound. Even choosing to give birth at a freestanding birth center, there are certain guidelines we have to follow. One of which is that for the birth center to keep its license, all mothers have to have 2 physician's appointments. One has to be in the last month to determine that we are low-risk and well-suited to give a fully natural birth, and the other appointment is up to the mother. Some mothers choose to just go and pee in a cup or something simple like that just to get the paperwork in. But I wanted to know the sex of the baby, so I opted to go in for an ultrasound.

My mom came in last week to visit for a few days, and she came with us to the appointment. We also invited Kevin's mom to meet us there. We thought it would be nice for the grandmas to be there together, and it was! Weird thing though, they just happened to wear the exact same shirt, just different colors, and had tan shorts on, flip-flops, and the same exact toenail polish color. They kept flipping out, thinking that it was a good sign for something.


First, Kevin and I went into the room, as we wanted to get the news first, alone. Since the beginning of the pregnancy, I've wanted this experience to first be about Kevin and I, since we are the ones who made this baby and the ones who will raise this baby. And it's our first! The nurse was so nice and gladly took a picture of us right beforehand. (Notice I'm wearing the same outfit as my 22-week pictures... it looked so good!)


After the nurse was done, the doctor came in. She was loud and funny, and very nice. We liked her a lot. She pointed out all the little parts of our baby, including this shot of the baby's leg and arm. We saw the spine, the heart beating, all the guts in the right spot, the head, my placenta. Everything looked good and healthy and right on track.


And then she tried to get a good shot of in between the legs. The baby was breech during the appointment, so the angle wasn't the best, but she determined (and said she was 90% sure) that it's a...

~*~*~*~*~ GIRL! ~*~*~*~*~

I was in disbelief! I was for sure that it was a boy in there. So steadfastly sure for the past couple of weeks. We videoed the ultrasound with Kevin's camera, and rewatching it later with Moma, I was sounding very skeptical. I kept asking for her to show us again, and "how sure are you?" and "really???"

But it has set in and we're sooooo excited. We've had a name picked out for a girl since before we even started really trying to get pregnant.

Adelaide Jane

I love that name so much, and it has been fairly easy to start using that name when talking about how the baby kicks or moves, or when talking about the nursery. The word "Daughter", however, is a little strange for some reason. It makes it more real! Kevin is so excited to have a little girl. He pictures her short and petite like me, but even more so, and that just gets him all gooey inside. I hope she has his blue eyes.

After we found out, the grandmas came in, and tried not to cry when they found out, although they did a pretty bad job at holding it together.


Then the doctor handed me the ultrasound paddle, and told me to have fun with it, then left the room! That's when Adelaide got really active! She started kicking her legs and arms out at the same time, reaching her hand out towards where the ultrasound paddle was, playing with her feet. Moma swears she saw her suck her fingers, but I really don't remember that. It was so awesome to see all that!


And of course Kevin just had to see what he could see in his belly... goofy guy!


We are so excited to meet little Adelaide! As the days pass, I get more and more anxious for time to speed up, and slow down at the same time. I only have 4 months left, and I know it'll speed by once school starts (tomorrow!), but I just can't wait to hold my baby in my arms!

[First family photo!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every single one and try to respond to most of them (during the baby's naps or in between loads of laundry). I value any and all thoughts, advice, and tidbits that you want to share!